Dementia is a progressive disease of the brain. There is decline in cognitive and intellectual function such as memory, comprehension, learning capacity, the ability to think and calculate, as well as language and judgment. Patients gradually deteriorate with impaired functioning in daily activities, some also with emotional and behavioural problems.
Five things you need to know about dementia:
- Dementia is not part of the normal aging process
- Dementia is caused by the diseases of the brain
- It is not just about losing your memory
- There is something you can do to reduce the risk of getting dementia
- It is possible to live well with it